Saturday, October 16, 2010

Jerez de la Fronterra

This little town is quite historic in the history of Spain!  Who knew right?  The original sherry was produced there by the Arabs in the waaayy olden days and it’s the main exporter of “Tio Pepe” wine and “Lepanto” brandy. (The most exclusive brandy in Spain. :) Be jealous.)  It’s kinda like that rule with champagne.  If it’s not from Champagne, France it can’t be called Champagne.  Same goes for Sherry!  Can’t be called Sherry unless it’s from Jerez, Spain!  Never knew that.  Apparently other countries make sherry as well but they have to call it something like, “Sherry from Portugal” can’t just call it “sherry”.  It’s a cute little down that once again makes me feel like I’m stepping back in time. 

After a night of staying out way to late and getting up way too early, a group of us met at the train station in Sevilla and took the hour train ride to Jerez.  Apparently the scenery was lovely, but I slept all the way there.  I didn’t think it was very exciting since I had seen it all before when my mom, Barb, and I went to Cadiz.  (Jerez de la Frontera is in the middle of Sevilla and Cadiz..just an fyi).  After the train ride we met up and headed towards our destination, Gonzalez-Byass winery. 

I’ve never been on a wine tour before, since I’ve never been old enough in the States and I’ve also never liked the smell or taste of wine for that matter.  Until now those two reasons had been enough to keep me away from wine tours, but seeing as how I’m in Spain and actually able to enjoy a wine tour I decided to go.  :)  We learned all about the Tio Pepe wine brand, how it’s made, all its history, and all the different wines they offer.  We also learned about the brandy and sherry they make right there in their little distillery.  Some of the bottles they have there don’t even start selling until they’ve aged for 15 years!!  That’s a hell of a long time to wait for a drink!  I never realized all the work that goes into making something like wine and other alcohol things.  And they STILL don’t smell or taste any better!  Either some things wrong with me or people just pretend to love this stuff.  I think I’m the only sane person who sees the huge scheme here.  1.  Pay way too much for a tiny ass bottle of wine, brandy, or sherry.  2.  Drink it as fast as you can because sipping would take hours.  And lastly  3. Pay for it dearly in the morning. 

After the tour of the winery we went to the tasting.  Needless to say I didn’t like the wine.  (Surprise surprise) and wasn’t able to finish either of my glasses.  It’s a shame really because I really wanted to like Spanish wine!  I think I romanticized the idea of the wine being SOOO great just like the Spanish culture, but unfortunately my taste buds refuse to change.  I took about 2 sips from each glass and declared myself done for the day.  I don’t know if I’ll ever appreciate the taste of wine, but it’s definitely not something high on the top of my “to-do” list.  After the tasting was over we ate a very late lunch and then headed back to Sevilla.
       
Regardless of my upsetting dismissal of Spanish wine, I had a great time.  :)  I loved walking around the city, touring the winery, and spending a day with my friends.  Can’t wait to go on another adventure in this amazing country.  Man, I don’t know if I’ll ever come back.  I could keep living this travel life style for the rest of my life.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment