Thursday, September 2, 2010

El Grupo ISA

El Grupo ISA
Finally got to meet the ISA group yesterday.  There’s a big mix of people from jocks to bros, nerds to preps.  It’s an interesting crowd about 40 strong.  And that’s not even all of us yet!  The people that are here now are here bc they are taking an intensive Spanish class to get them ready for the classes at the university.  We look like complete tourists when we go out since our large group of loudly speaking English kids draws a lot of attention.  Although I tried so hard to blend in it’s a dead give away when we all grab for our cameras when we see a cool building.  Surprisingly not many kids in this program speak much or any Spanish at all! I KNOW RIGHT.  Most kids know four words really well…
1. Cerveza
2. Baño
3. Hola
4. Gracias
  I definitely thought that there would be a lot of kids here who knew Spanish well and were gonna go take their classes in Spanish.  Apparently, that’s not the case. 
There are three universities here, Pablo de Olavide, Universidad Internacional Menendez-Pelayo, and La Universidad de Sevilla.  Most of the people I’ve meet so far are going to Pablo de Olavide. L  Not too many people are actually going to the Universidad de Sevilla even tho all the schools are in the city.  Pablo and Menendez-Pelayo are schools for “extranjeros” or foreigners whereas the Universidad de Sevilla is more for those who know Spanish well and want classes in Spanish (AKA. Me.)  Oh well, maybe I’ll be able to meet some Spaniards!  It just kinda sucks bc the friends that I’ve made here so far I won’t have any classes with. 
Although shocked by the number of kids that don’t speak any spanish it gave me more confidence in mine when me and maybe 2 other kids would translate for someone.  At least I’m better off than them!  Only down side to always having to translate for the ISA kids is that they only speak English.  Haven’t been able to practice much Spanish with them, but when we get to Sevilla I know I’ll be speaking it all the time at home. Yay!
On Thursday we saw the Prado Museum and El Palacio Real (ROYAL palace..not REAL palace).  They we so amazing.  Unfortunately Spain doesn’t like to share its secrets with the world so I have no pictures to show of these two trips.  Not pictures were allowed.  I’m sure you could google these names however and see some amazing pics.  This country continues to amaze me with all of its sights and sounds.  Can’t wait for Toledo tomorrow!!

PS. GOT A PHONE.  Call me. :)  Not sure what it costs you but here’s the number.  It’s prolly best to use a calling card somehow.  I get free incoming calls from around the world so this will be the cheapest way to talk if ya’ll call me.  Can’t wait to see you all again!
606-81-33-74

No comments:

Post a Comment