Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More Interesting Things

So I’ve decided to continue with the Interesting things I’ve noticed about Spain. I’ll keep it at a nice round nine facts per session. Carry on the odd number tradition since I couldn’t think of a 10th one for the first fact thing I wrote. :) Hope ya’ll like.


10. The printer paper is a different size.
Oddly enough paper is not the same size. Found that out when I tried to print out a paper for my class. I would like to know the paper sizes before I arrive, therefore I can change all the settings on my computer. Paper in the US is 8½ X 11, here it’s like 8½ X 14. Way longer. It looks weird to me. Needless to say my 2 page essay ended up being a page and a half. Good thing there wasn’t a page limit on this assignment! Gotta remember that when I actually do have to write a paper based on a page limit. :(


11. Spain’s national anthem has no words.
Um…well then what do they sing then? The answer… “lo lo lo lo lo loooo lo lo looo” NO JOKE! My host mom told me! I guess the reason for the lack of words has to do with Spain’s history. Apparently there were words to the anthem, but that was during the reign of Franco. To forget about the dictator and do away with the old ways they gave up the words to the anthem. And apparently no one really even remembers them that well at all! It’s been so long that there are barely any records of the words at all. Interesting huh?


12. Spanish people don’t drink sangria.
Sorry guys. All this time we thought sangria was a popular Spanish drink. And it is in a way…but for tourists. If you order sangria in a restaurant, bar, club, wherever you automatically have a huge sign above your head with blinking red lights that say “Look at me! ME NOT SPANISH!” The drink of the Spaniards is Tinto de Verano. No fruit, well maybe a lemon, red wine, and lemon juice. None of this pear, apple, and strawberry stuff. Sangria is saved for big occasions where there are a lot of people and no one cares what they drink. However sangria is perfect for the stereotypical tourist. I knew there was a reason I didn’t care for it too much. I feel so Spanish now. :)


13. McDonalds has no dollar menu, no breakfast, and doesn’t open til 11.
Worst thing ever when you want a fast breakfast because you’re running late for something!! And forget the cheap/fast food aspect! With no dollar menu you pay like 8 bucks for a hamburger. Maybe that’s why people are so skinny here..and the fact that they actually use physical activity to get places and not cars!


14. Toilet paper is sacred.
Once again I find myself in a predicament. I use the bathroom like 10 times a day. And NO. I DON’T HAVE A PROBLEM. Just a small bladder. Even my host mom commented on my frequent bathroom usages! “Katy, ¿vas al baño much no? ¿Qué onda chica?” That was an awkward convo..anyways. She told me and Jesse that we can’t use a lot of toilet paper because we kill too many trees. In my honest opinion however, I don’t waste the paper. And I feel they are so used to having only 2 people in their house all the time that they forget what it’s like to have FOUR people in a house! Stuff goes twice as fast when you have twice as many people!!!


15. Cross walks don’t mean anything and sidewalks are for Vespa’s.
I can see how even in the US you have to be careful in a cross walk because some people just don’t look, but here it’s a completely different story. I was walking back from class the other day, light turned green for the pedestrians so people started walking. All of a sudden 3 cars just decided they would like to turn right in front of all these people! And then they honked at us for having the right of way! It’s like they were mad we were actually following the street signs! (which is something very rare here).

Vespa’s….I’m starting not to like them. Sidewalks so not mean you can use them to cut in front of traffic!! I swear anywhere you walk here you see your life flash in front of you at least 3 times a day.


16. Many buildings are not handicap accessible.
It’s not that they have a problem with handicap people/survival of the fittest thing, it’s just the buildings here are so old they don’t have room to put elevators in! With no ramps I suppose it’s another form of exercise.


17. I can’t watch any of my favorite shows over here.
I seriously think I’ve been having some Jersey Shore withdraw lately. I have no idea what American TV is even up to anymore!! Much less Snooki and the gang! I’ve looked all over to find just one episode..I went to the MTV website too, but they don’t offer their videos to people in other countries!! I AM AN AMERICAN HERE! I deserve to have my Jersey Shore. :(((((( Not to mention other random shows that I kept up with over the summer. They have no idea how badly my heart has been crushed.


18. They eat bread all the time 24/7.
Breakfast, lunch, dinner…bread, bread, bread. And it’s not like sandwich bread, it’s like the two foot loaves you buy at a bakery! I usually only eat like that when I go out to dinner in the states. But here it’s mandatory. Toast in the morning is fine, but bread all the time? That can’t be healthy. My host family swears by it, but I’m not sold. They say it’s healthy for you..and yes it is, but I would also like to have some semi clean arteries by the time I get back! Not to mention I don’t want to come back a cow either.


I wonder if Spain will ever cease to amaze me. Probably not. :)

1 comment:

  1. Kathrine sounds like you are having a great time even when you don't know whats going on with snookie. lol. I can keep you up-dated on things like Mike is going to be on dancing with the stars this season. Hope your having a great time and love you tons!!! Teresa

    ReplyDelete